Friday, July 3, 2009

Itching to Move - again

I'm itching to move. I always move. I think the longest I ever stayed in one place was three or four years and I was like...8 years old. As an adult, probably two years max. I just can't stay still. I get the itch to go and I'm out as soon as possible. In the past, it was just local until I moved to AZ and back. Except now Noah is almost school age. Pre-school age anyway, and that leads to kindergarten and so on. So the urge to stay still has finally kicked in and I get it! I get how some kids in high school lived in one place for their whole lives. Ok, I don't GET it for ME, because that's never been true for me, but I get it for my son. I'd like him to be able to say, "This is my friend from when I was 8." In my case, I don't even know if Facebook can help me connect to all the people I only knew in passing. I stopped trying to remember people's names, and to this day, I'm terrible at names.

The point being is that I'm researching better areas, crime rates, school ratings, commute options, and of course price. Ideally, I'd like to be in walking distance to parks, the Metra, shops, childcare, my college, and other minor things. My car isn't always reliable so knowing I can get my needs met w/o a car gives me peace of mind. Winter being the yuck variable in there when it comes to walking. I hate cold! My current area has crap schools, bad crime rates, but is close to shopping, a daycare, my college, a park, and the Metra. I'll take safety over a nearby park any day! I'd love to rent a townhome with a yard for Noah to play, but probably out of my price range at this moment. Since I work at home, I don't pay for daycare, but I also make less. It also means my job comes with me if I move. When I moved from the transitional housing 2-bedroom apartment, we moved into a 1-bedroom apartment since I KNEW I could make the rent by just working & no school financial aid or child support. I thought I was moving to a better neighborhood since this is touted as one of those "U.S. News Top Ten" blah blah towns. Bwahahahahaha! Not in my part I guess. I also didn't count on feeling so cramped and crowded. I'd also have chosen the ground floor now that I know 3 year olds need room to run around.

Mostly the cost of living in a decent area in Chicagoland is kicking my want-to-move butt! My other choice is to move out of state to a location with a lower cost of living. I could rent something MUCH nicer than I have here, & probably safer too. Of course that means changing the divorce papers unless I move to NC, but that's likely out. Some of the things there have changed so I'm not sure that would work anymore. Then there's AZ, where I lived before and was quite content pre-baby years. But will having a child so far from everyone be doable? I like being able to see my family when there are events. I like the things Chicago has to offer if we want to hop on the train. I don't like the weather, and I don't like the weather! LOL I just don't know if AZ is doable with a child as a single parent. Plus the schools suck and it's not really THAT safe for Noah as he gets older. I have friends there, but it's not like seeing your family and having your child know their extended family.

So then there's the suburb I lived in when I was in transitional housing. The library sucked but was by a bigger one in the neighboring town. It was central to my friends and to family. Close to Metra, a hospital, parks, shopping, and it was quiet. I love quiet. Ok, my neighbors were NOT quiet and were super, extra horrible. Part of that had to do with the crappy insulation in the apartment and hearing everything they did, like sneezing and sex and DCFS visiting. It was so awsome. Not. So I've been stalking all the rental listings in that city and watching for one of the few apartments go up for rent. I saw two this spring, but I wasn't ready to move yet. There's one coming up in December, but they're listing it $50 over the market value of identical apartments right next door. If I could get them to come down, I'd be on it immediately. I only moved from that place because I thought I couldn't afford it. Now I wish I'd stayed and not panicked over the cost. I'd have icky neighbors, but the place that's opening up is the one the icky neighbors were in. I'm concerned because it's second floor and I remember what it was like living under two toddlers jumping and running. I know there's no way I can get Noah to NOT be an active toddler. They'll hear me doing everything. Not sure how I feel about that either.

So I continue to stalk apartment listings in that town, while I keep looking in AZ and other places in the U.S. that sound interesting. I just don't know where I want to go, but I need to choose soon as pre-school is on the horizon. I just know we can't stay here when Noah goes to school. I suppose something will happen when it's meant to happen. I just hate waiting to see what it is.

3 comments:

eatmisery said...

Come to the city! Chicago is a great place to live. I've grown up here and am raising my own kids here. What have you got to lose?

Hef said...

Gawd, I could have written so much of this post that it's actually kind of creeping me out!!!

Ha!

I hope you find the *perfect* solution to your housing needs!!

Jennifer said...

Amy, I would LOVE to move into Chicago, but I honestly don't know if I can afford it. I'm not as familiar with the city as I'd like to be to know where I should avoid, but have always wanted to live in Chicago. I've never even been on the El!

Hef, I knew you'd say that! LOL I'd be happy if it was just almost just right. Chicago weather will never let it be perfect, & we'll probably stay here because of family. I know you're getting ready to make a big move too.

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails