Friday, February 19, 2010

Child Support Success!!

Guess who finally put her foot down and forced the State of IL to do their job? ME! 

In case you need to catch up on the drama that the State of IL has caused me in trying to get my child support from my ex's job go here:  Child Support Saga

So we see how I've been telling the child support office that they need to send it electronically?  Every month I tell them this when I call.  See how they kept telling me that they mail the orders, and they don't know what my ex's federal gov't employer is talking about?  Ok, good.

Today has been six months since the State of IL got involved in collecting my child support from my ex's federal employer.  Today I was done waiting for them and sick of their excuses on why my support order wasn't being received by the ex's job. 

I called the state enforcement office, as usual, and the first person told me the same thing: They've sent it and now it's on a supervisor's desk to begin a case for non-compliance since a request for response was mailed without an answer.  Phone calls made on Wednesdays (when gov't withholding is out) weren't answered or returned.  Was also told she could only send a referral for someone in another department to call the fed gov't again since it wasn't in her dept anymore!  Not a good enough answer for me.  I was done waiting and indicated I wanted a supervisor in the other dept on the phone to call the fed gov't office & fix this today, now, while I was on the phone.

The next person for IL child support told me if they call the fed gov't office that legal action for noncompliance won't be started.  This is because his employer might only make one payment, and if they don't make another one I'd be at square one.  I'm pretty sure if the federal gov't actually got the order they would make more than one payment while the ex is employed there.  Again, not a good enough answer & I indicated someone was going to call the fed gov't office in charge of withholding income and get this fixed immediately!  I didn't care what else happened but SOMEONE was taking responsibility for this snafu and finding out WHY my order isn't being received!!!  Six months of them telling me they sent it out, and more waiting while they let it sit on someone's desk was over.  Transferred again.

The last person I spoke to listened to me again say that the fed gov't wanted this order sent electronically and they aren't getting it.   That IL keeps telling me they're sending it and fed gov't doesn't get it.  FINALLY she puts me on hold and calls the fed gov't office to see how she can get the withholding order to them.  Remembering that it's taken six months for someone to do this while I wait. 


This is the best part.  She comes back and tells me...

"The fed gov't doesn't take mailed orders anymore and no one told their state office this, so they've been mailing it."  Take a moment while that sinks in, it took me a minute  She said they're sending it electronically & gave me her direct number.  Instead of going off on her, I cried in relief that it's over (I hope).   Six months of my telling IL the problem/solution, them insisting they were right, and all they had to do was pick up the phone to ask why it wasn't received.  I trusted them to do their job and do it correctly, if not efficiently.  Even when having to admit fault, they still tried to blame it on his employer by saying IL wasn't informed of the change.

I wish I could sue someone for this.  Seriously.  I never say that , but no one should ever have to go through this kind of fiasco.   Anyone know a good lawyer?

3 comments:

Solomother said...

This is great news. I'm so glad it worked out for you! Will you be able to recoup what hasn't been paid to you all this time?

Unknown said...

Yes, the back support the ex didn't pay this whole time has been accumulating. He also paid some of it himself the other day so I can report a payment made. Honestly, I'll believe it when I see the money in my bank next weekend, BUT supposedly it's done. HOORAY!

I try not to think about the fact that it took them six month to make a phone call that told them what I've been saying for six months.

Unknown said...

Oh, they also increased the $ amt they take out to reduce what's owed by him, so yes I'll get it back for as long as he works for them.

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails