Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Aftermath

I haven't emailed his teacher about the stoplight method she uses.  Yet.  I did ask my son where the stoplight was and if he or the teacher moved his name on it.  I asked if anyone made fun or laughed at him when he got yellow yesterday.  I also asked how he felt about getting a yellow.  He didn't seem to be embarrassed or care.

I asked the opinion of a teacher I know and my sister who has had three kids go through various school districts.  The Internet produced some interesting opinions as well.  My best friend said just don't stress it since it's ridiculous anyway the way schools do a lot of things they do.  My sister said suck it up because most classrooms use this method so he better get used to it.  She also said communication with the teacher is key to ensure he thrives.  The Internet forums of teachers seem to either love this method as wonderful or despise it as lazy.  I lean to the latter, but I'm new to this so I'm still watching and learning.  The parenting forums basically said, yes it sucks but just tell your kid that sometimes we have to do things in life we don't like.  Or they said just tell your kid it doesn't matter what they get unless it's really, really bad.

So my stance is that I'm going to wait and see.  Plus, I'm thinking the $3,500 tuition for private school, or becoming a Lutheran for free private school, isn't going to really work for us.  Not only that, I don't want to be seen as reacting just because my child had yellow yesterday.  The second my child comes home and says he doesn't want to go to school because he was embarrassed he got in trouble is the day I go all momma bear.

Also, the little girl that got a red yesterday...I heard her having to apologize to the teacher and was embarrassed for her.  I'm going to have to come up with a plan as asap and decide how I'm going to play this out based on the needs of my son.  It's going to be a long road this education thing.

No comments:

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails